CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Me Love Cookies


"C is for cookie. It's good enough for me. Cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C." I still love that song, still sing it every time I get a cookie, and Cookie Monster is still my favorite Sesame Street character. But it's not the chocolate chip cookie that is my favorite, it's the moist, chocolately no-bake cookie. Not many people would say this is their favorite cookie. My love of the no-bake started in middle school.

Ahh, Jefferson Middle School...things I remember most are not making the varsity cheerleading squad, kissing Greg Winkler, and no-bake cookies. Everyone had to take one session of home economics. I kind of liked the class. We learned how to use a sewing machine and made stuffed animals and sweatshirts. Both of mine were pink, so girly. Then we learned to cook, and this is where I first learned how to make the scrumptious no-bake cookie.

After I learned to make them, I remember running home after school and whipping up a batch with my sister, Lisa. We used to stick them in the freezer to make them cool quicker. Then we'd eat the whole batch in one sitting. I don't think we ever got sick of them, although I don't remember making them as much in high school or even as an adult.

Why do you think adults make more chocolate chip, peanut butter, or even the tasty snickerdoodle over the no-bake? Why isn't the no-bake one of everyone's favorite Christmas cookie? Why is it that the no-bake is rarely found at the grocery store? When I do find a package of no-bakes at the store, I buy them immediately. One time driving home from my mom's house in North Carolina to Indiana (15 hour drive), I did eat an entire package of no-bake cookies by myself. I tried to get the boys to eat one (you know to help me out a bit), but they weren't interested at all. Thank goodness for me!

Yesterday I found them at our local Walmart (I think that's where I found them in North Carolina as well). I am trying my hardest not to eat the whole package at once. I am trying to eat them slowly this time while savoring each bite and remembering my sister and I cooking in the kitchen and eating massive amounts of the no-bake cookie! When I finish this pack, maybe I'll actually make up a batch of my own!

No-Bake Cookies
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
3 cups quick cooking oats
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan combine, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup butter, and boil for 1 minute.
Take off heat and add peanut butter, quick cooking oats, cocoa, vanilla.
Stir well. Drop by teaspoon on wax paper Let sit one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment